25 地中海四十八小时(16)
THE NEXT MORNING, February 19, I beheld the Canadian entering my stateroom.
第二天2月19日早晨,我看见加拿大人走进我房一中。
I was expecting this visit. He wore an expression of great disappointment.
我正等他来,他神一色一沮丧。
Well, sir? he said to me.
先生,怎样?他对我说。
Well, Ned, the fates were against us yesterday.
尼德,怎样,昨天机会对我们不利。
Yes! That damned captain had to call a halt just as we were going to escape from his boat.
对!那个鬼怪船长正在我们要逃出他的船的时候,就把船停下来了。
Yes, Ned, he had business with his bankers.
尼德,是的,他跟他的银行经理有享呢。
His bankers?
他的银行经理!
Or rather his bank vaults. By which I mean this ocean, where his wealth is safer than in any national treasury.
或者不如说是跟他的银行有享。我所说银行的意思就是海洋,就是他的财富存放的地方,那比国家的金库更为安全可靠的海洋。
I then related the evening's incidents to the Canadian, secretly hoping he would come around to the idea of not deserting the captain;
我于是把昨晚的意外事件告诉加拿大人,暗中希望这样可以使他不要抛弃船长,
but my narrative had no result other than Ned's voicing deep regret that he hadn't strolled across the Vigo battlefield on his own behalf.
可是,我的讲述所得的结果,只是尼德很强烈表示出来的悔恨,他惋惜自己没有能亲自到维哥湾的战场上去走一下。
Anyhow, he said, it's not over yet! My first harpoon missed, that's all! We'll succeed the next time, and as soon as this evening, if need be . . .
他说:‘好,事情并没有完!这一次只是鱼叉落了空罢了!另一次我们一定成功,如果可能,就是今晚…
What's the Nautilus's heading? I asked.
诺第留斯号是向哪个方向航行?我问。
I've no idea, Ned replied.
我不知道。尼德回答。
All right, at noon we'll find out what our position is!
那么,到中午,我们来观测船的方位吧。
The Canadian returned to Conseil's side. As soon as I was dressed, I went into the lounge.
加拿大人回到康塞尔那边去。我一穿好了衣服,就走入客厅中。
The compass wasn't encouraging. The Nautilus's course was south-southwest. We were turning our backs on Europe.
罗盘指示不很明确。诺第留斯号的航路是西南偏南。我们是背着欧洲行驶。
I could hardly wait until our position was reported on the chart. Near 11:30 the ballast tanks emptied, and the submersible rose to the surface of the ocean.
我等待着把船的方位记在地图上,心中有些着急。十一点左右,储水池空了,船浮上洋面。
I leaped onto the platform. Ned Land was already there.
我跑到平台上,尼德已经先在那里了。
No more shore in sight. Nothing but the immenseness of the sea.
陆地再也望不见,只见一片汪洋大海。
A few sails were on the horizon, no doubt ships going as far as Cape Sao Roque to find fa一vorable winds for doubling the Cape of Good Hope.
天际有几只帆船,一定是到桑罗克角寻找顺风,绕过好望角去的船。
The sky was overcast. A squall was on the way.
天一色一明沉,恐怕要刮风了。