第25 地中海四十八小时(7)
I climbed onto it instantly, Ned Land and Conseil along with me.
我立即上平台去,尼德·兰和康塞尔陪着我。
Twelve miles away, Cape St.Vincent was hazily visible, the southwestern tip of the Hispanic peninsula.
在距离十二海里的地方,隐约现出圣文孙特角,那就是西班牙半岛的最西南的尖角。
The wind was blowing a pretty strong gust from the south.
当时起了相当厉害的南风。
The sea was swelling and surging. Its wa一ves made the Nautilus roll and jerk violently.
海面波涛汹桶,海水滚滚打来,使诺第留斯号发生激烈的颠簸。
It was nearly impossible to stand up on the platform, which was continuously buffeted by this enormously hea一vy sea.
在平台上简直不可能呆下去,因为时刻都有大一浪一打来。
After inhaling a few breaths of air, we went below once more.
所以我们呼吸了几下新鲜空气后,就回到船中。
I repaired to my stateroom. Conseil returned to his cabin; but the Canadian, looking rather worried, followed me.
我回到我的房一中,康塞尔也回到他的舱房。但是加拿大人像心中有事的样子,跟着我来。
Our quick trip through the Mediterranean hadn't allowed him to put his plans into execution, and he could barely conceal his disappointment.
我们过地中海时的飞快速度,不容许他实行他的计划,他很显然地表示了他的失望。
After the door to my stateroom was closed, he sat and stared at me silently.
当我的房门关上了,他坐下,不作声,望着我。
Ned my friend, I told him, I know how you feel, but you mustn't blame yourself.
尼德朋友,我对他说,我了解您,您没有什么可以责备自己的地方。
Given the way the Nautilus was na一vigating, it would ha一ve been sheer insanity to think of escaping!
当诺第留斯号行驶时,在那样的条件下,想要离开它,简直就是发疯!
Ned Land didn't reply. His pursed lips and frowning brow indicated that he was in the grip of his monomania.
尼德·兰不回答。他紧闭的嘴唇,他紧蹙的眉一毛一,表示他心中有一个坚定的思想死死纠缠着他。
Look here, I went on, as yet there's no cause for despair. We're going up the coast of Portugal.
瞧着吧,我又说,事情并不是完全没有希望。我们现在沿葡萄牙海岸上溯了。
France and England aren't far off, and there we'll easily find refuge.
不远就是法国、英国,我们可以很容易找到一个逃走的地方。
Oh, I grant you, if the Nautilus had emerged from the Strait of Gibraltar and made for that cape in the south, if it were taking us toward those regions that ha一ve no continents, then I'd share your alarm.
啊!如果诺第留斯号从直布罗陀海峡出来,往南方驶去,如果它把我们带到没有陆地的那些区域去,那我心中跟您一样,感到烦恼。
But we now know that Captain Nemo doesn't a一void the seas of civilization, and in a few days I think we can safely take action.
但是,我们现在知道尼摩船长并不躲避有文化的海面,我想在几天一内一,您可以比较安全地来执行您的计划。
Ned Land stared at me still more intently and finally unpursed his lips.
尼德·兰的眼睛更盯得我厉害,最后,张开嘴巴。