21 在陆地上的两天(14)
Twenty minutes later we boarded ship. The hatches were open. After mooring the skiff, we reentered the Nautilus's interior.
二十分钟后,我们上了船。嵌板是开着的。把小艇放好后,我们又回到了诺第留斯号的里面来了。
I went below to the lounge, from which some chords were wafting. Captain Nemo was there, leaning over the organ, deep in a musical trance.
我走人客厅,听到有一些乐声发出。尼摩船长在那里,他正弯身向着他的大风琴,沉浸在音乐的极乐情绪中。
Captain! I said to him.
船长!我对他说。
He didn't hear me.
他好像没有听见。
Captain! I went on, touching him with my hand.
船长!我叉说,同时用手去碰他。
He trembled, and turning around:
他身上微微发一抖,回过身来对我说:
Ah, it's you, professor! he said to me. Well, did you ha一ve a happy hunt? Was your herb gathering a success?
啊!是您,教授。很好,你们打猎好吗?你们采得很多的植物吗?
Yes, captain, I replied, but unfortunately we've brought back a horde of bipeds whose proximity worries me.
是的,很不错,船长,我回答,不过我们很不幸,带来了一样两一腿一动物,这些动物就在附近,我觉得很不放心。
What sort of bipeds?
什么两一腿一动物哪?
Sa一vages.
是一些野蛮人呢。
Sa一vages! Captain Nemo replied in an ironic tone. You set foot on one of the shores of this globe, professor, and you're surprised to find sa一vages there? Where aren't there sa一vages? And besides, are they any worse than men elsewhere, these people you call sa一vages?
一些野蛮人!尼摩船长带着讥讽的语气说,教授,您脚一踏在这地球的陆地上便碰见野蛮人,您觉得奇怪吗?野蛮人,地上尹。一处没有野蛮人呢?而且您叫他们为野蛮人的,一定比其他的人还坏吗?
But captain-
不过,船长…
Speaking for myself, sir, I've encountered them everywhere.
在我个人来说,先生,我到处都碰见野蛮人。
Well then, I replied, if you don't want to welcome them aboard the Nautilus, you'd better take some precautions!
那么,我回答,如果您不愿意在诺第留斯号船上接待他们的话,我请您注意,想些办法。
Easy, professor, no cause for alarm.
您放心吧,教授,这事用不着您担心。
But there are a large number of these natives.
可是土人的人数很多呢。
What's your count?
您估计他们有多少?
At least a hundred.
至少有一百左右。
Professor Aronnax, replied Captain Nemo, whose fingers took their places again on the organ keys, if every islander in Papua were to gather on that beach, the Nautilus would still ha一ve nothing to fear from their attacks!
阿龙纳斯先生,尼摩船长回答,他的手指又搁在大风琴的键子上了,就是巴布亚所有的土人都齐集在这海滩上,诺第留斯号一点也不怕他们的攻击!