9 尼德兰的愤怒(12)

I realized, moreover, that Ned Land's brooding was getting him madder by the minute.

我看得出尼德·兰因为脑子里想得太多,变得更加激动了。

Little by little, I heard those aforesaid cusswords welling up in the depths of his gullet,

我渐渐听到他喉咙中咕咕着不知骂些什么,

and I saw his movements turn threatening again.

我看见他的样子愈来愈怕人。

He stood up, pacing in circles like a wild beast in a cage, striking the walls with his foot and fist.

他站起来,像一只关在笼中的老虎。转来转去,用脚踢用拳打墙壁。

Meanwhile the hours passed, our hunger nagged unmercifully, and this time thesteward did not appear.

时间过得很快,大家感觉饿得厉害,这一回,侍者并没有来。

Which amounted to forgetting our castaway status for much too long, if they really had good intentions toward us.

如果人家对我们真正怀着好意,那现在真是有些过于忽视我们受难人的处境了。

Tortured by the growling of his well-built stomach, Ned Land was getting more and more riled,

尼德·兰的胃口很大,他饿得发慌,越来越按捺不住了,

and despite his word of honor, I was in real dread of an explosion when he stood in the presence of one of the men on board.

尽管他有言在先,我还是怕他一看见船上的人就要发作。

For two more hours Ned Land's rage increased.

又过了两小时,尼德·兰愤怒得更厉害了。

The Canadian shouted and pleaded, but to no avail.

他叫叫喊喊,但没有用。

The sheet-iron walls were deaf. I didn't hear a single sound inside this dead-seeming boat.

铁板墙是又聋又哑的。我甚至听不到这只死气沉沉的船上有一点声响。