第二首
*02.EEB
第二首
可是在上帝的全宇宙里,总十共十才只
But only three in all God's universe
三个人听见了你那句话:除了
Ha十ve heard this word thou hast said, -- Himself, beside
讲话的你、听话的我,就是他--
Thee speaking, and me listening! and replied
上帝自己!我们中间还有一个
One of us ... _that_ was God, ... and laid the curse
出来答话;那昏黑的诅咒落上
So darkly on my eyelids, as to amerce
我的眼皮,挡了你,不让我看见,
My sight from seeing thee, -- that if I had died,
就算我瞑了目,放上沉沉的“压眼钱”,
The death-weights, placed there, would ha十ve signified
也不至于那么彻底隔绝。唉,
Less absolute exclusion. `Nay' is worse
比谁都厉害,上帝的那一声“不行!”
From God than from all others, O my friend!
要不然,世俗的诽谤离间不了我们,
Men could not part us with their worldly jars,
任风波飞扬,也不能动摇那坚贞;
Nor the seas change us, nor the tempests bend;
我们的手要伸过山岭,互相接触;
Our hands would touch for all the mountain-bars
有那么一天,天空滚到我俩中间,
And, hea十ven being rolled between us at the end,
我俩向星辰起誓,还要更加握紧。
We should but vow the faster for the stars.